Medical experts state that the primary purpose of an eye exam is not just to find out if you have poor vision, but to identify eye problems before the symptoms appear and get out of control. The four main causes of vision loss are treatable eye diseases, which we ignore because we take our eyes for granted. In fact, during your eye exams, your doctor can spot even health issues like diabetes earlier.
Everyone needs to treat eye examinations as important as blood pressure checks or visits to the dentist. The common rule of thumb to be followed is annual visits when you are in your twenties and bi-annual visits during your thirties. In your forties and later, customize your visits after consultation from an eye-specialist in Mumbai. However, here we have listed 5 signs which indicate that you need to get your eyes checked immediately:
- Constant headaches plague you – If you are troubled continuously by your pounding head, it is quite possible that your eye is the culprit. While this issue could be because of exposure to electronic gadgets for too long or working in extremely dim or bright lighting, it could also be a case of vision problems. Changes in vision, which is treated using corrective lenses, actually develop gradually. Visit an eye specialist in Mumbai to identify the cause and make immediate corrections.
- Excessive eye fatigue or even pain – While it is normal for one’s eyes to hurt after an entire night of workload, constant fatigue and indicates the presence of an issue. In many cases, the problem is due to dryness or chronic over-exertion and an eye specialist in Mumbai will provide you with the necessary treatment or medication. However, the underlying issue could be dangerous like an injury, glaucoma or corneal damage, so do not brush aside these signs.
- Eye Infections – Eye infections can escalate and even spread quickly if it is contagious. Some of the symptoms of eye infections include redness, discharge, excessive sensitivity to light, pain, and burning, and blurred vision. The most common eye infection is conjunctivitis. Conjunctivitis or pink eye is identified through extreme redness and discharge from your eye, such that you will not be able to open your eyes in the morning when you wake up due to the sticky material. Your eye specialist in Mumbai will provide you with the necessary eye drops or even antibiotics depending on your condition.
- You see halos or floaters –
Floaters are the tiny pieces of dust that you can notice standing out when near a source of light like an open window or the open sky. While it is normal to be seeing a few of them, visit your doctor immediately if there is an increase in floaters in your vision. While it is normal to view an increased number of floaters as you age, a sudden increase could mean retinal damage. Similarly, if you see halos or rings around sources of light, such as light bulbs, it may be an indicator of a case of cataract. Visit an eye specialist in Mumbai to address these concerns immediately.
- Your vision is blurred or you cannot see properly in the night – Though blurry vision could be temporary especially if you have just woken up, been awake for too long or have had certain substances, persistent blurred vision is a warning bell for vision changes. Similarly, inability to see at all in the night indicates that your eye lenses have lost their natural power and that you might need corrective lenses.